db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: SV: Driver30 where is it used?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:44:13 GMT
Peter Neubauer wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> Thanks for the fast reply,
>
>>Applications should not acceess the Driver20 or Driver30 classes
>>directly, the public api is EmbeddedDriver and DriverManager (e.g.
>>DriverManager.getConnection).
>>
>>Driver20 and Driver30 do not handle the network URL, only the
>>embedded,
>>thus they are required in derby.jar.
>
> I understand that, but it seems that "jdbc:derby://localhost:9001/journaldb;create=true"
is returning the Driver30 for client applications that have derby.jar in their classloader.
I'm not sure of the specification but maybe the problem is that from the specification POV
the embedded URL syntax "jdbc:derby:journaldb;create=true" and the above new network client
syntax are the same?
> In that case there is a problem that might be surface not only for me, since it seems
that from the JDBC specification, the first driver accepting a given connection URL has to
be returned to the asking client.

> Not sure this makes sense, just want to stress the point that http://www.solarmetric.com/Support/Newsgroups/news/article.php?id_article=%3Cde5ek5%24ecp%241%40solarmetric.netmar.com%3E&grp_id=1
should not be able to happen since I used the network URL and you are saying the Driver30
is only handling embedded URLs?

> /peter

OK, I see the problem now. The acceptsURL() call for the Derby embedded
drivers indicates it accepts jdbc:derby: which of course will
incorrectly include jdbc:derby://. I thought this had been addressed,
but obviously it wasn't.

I'll enter a Jira bug.

Dan.