db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@sun.com>
Subject derby standards
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:22:19 GMT
I'm afraid I'm having a hard time figuring out Derby's relationship to
what might be called standards. The following principles seem to be
regularly advocated:

1) Derby should avoid inventing its own syntax and apis.

2) Instead, Derby should adopt syntax and apis endorsed by the following
authorities:

  - ANSI SQL 2003
  - JDBC 4.0
  - JSRs
  - Other Apache projects

 From time to time, other authorities are recommended even though they
conflict with principle (2):

3) Non-ANSI syntax used by popular databases like Oracle, DB2, Postgres,
and MySQL.

4) Constraints imposed by DRDA.

Principle (3) proves to be particularly nettlesome since the popular
databases often disagree. As we expand Derby, I would like to understand
how we reconcile these principles. Perhaps, first, we should state what
Derby hopes to gain by compliance. The following benefits might apply:

A) Familiar syntax and apis encourage developers to use Derby for new
embedded applications.

B) Compatible syntax and apis encourage migration of old applications to
Derby from other databases.

C) Compatible syntax and apis make it easy to scale up usage of a
Derby-developed application by migrating it to an enterprise-calibre dbms.

With four popular databases to keep in mind, benefits (B) and (C) seem
hard to satisfy. I am worried that we are in danger of building a
database which does not deliver any of these benefits. I would like to
see us clarify our goals and compliance policies.

Cheers,
-Rick