db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:46:35 GMT
Ok, just to be clear Derby checkpoints are already asynchronous.
The one synchrounous point is that while a page is being written
no update that exact page can be happening.
Updates to all other pages in the
database may be going on concurrently with this operation.  So unless
you are worried about concurrency on the single page, I believe
Derby checkpoints already do what you describe.

In the case of Derby the list is the numerical order list of buffers
in the cache, and is always traversed in order.  The checkpoint is
done by a background thread asynchronous to other user threads.