db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: sharing code between the client and server
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:44:23 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hey Dan,
>
> I'm going to hold off on this until you get back. It would be nice to
> work out a code-sharing model soon. My particular issue here is that I
> want to add some new constants to the network layer and it seems brittle
> to me to have to make identical edits in two sets of files.

So constants (Java static final fields) at least for primitive and
String types are already handled for shared code. Classes in the package
org.apache.derby.iapi.reference can be used by any code/jar file.This is
because the java compiler inlines such constants, so these classes
themselves are not included in any jar files.

Dan.