db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory allocation problem
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:42:30 GMT
Hi Amit,

If you are just closing the connections, some of the memory used by
the database internal structures will not be released,for example
memory used by the page cache will not be released; default size of
cache is 1000 pages, if cache is full, it can take up 32MB if all
pages are 32K or  4MB if page size is 4K.

If you really want to release all the memory used by a derby database
then you need to shutdown the database. If you are frequently
connecting back to the database,  shutting down the database is not a
good idea. It will impact the performance of u'r application .
First Connection that comes after the shutdown will
need to boot the database and also , it will need to reread the
data from the disk into the cache if your application is reading the
same data that was in the cache before the shutdown.

Thanks
-suresht