db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: drda product identifier
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:16:27 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I have begun the process of applying for a Derby product id: DRB. Will
> keep the list posted.

With the new id I think it is important that  Derby Client 10.1  and
other clients which currently work  with  Derby continue to work.
If you make this change could you just leave the server sending CSS to
the Derby 10.1 client, JCC and ODBC?
When new versions of  JCC and ODBC recognize the new product id,
someone from IBM can  change network server to start sending DRB to
these clients.

In general I think we have to be careful about upgrade scenarios because
right now we have no upgrade tests in derbyAll and we have no
backward/forward client compatibility testing.   I'll add Jira entries
for these test items.  Please tread lightly.  I think it is really
important that users already using Derby see a  seamless upgrade and
that client maintain backward/forward compatibility with server.

Thanks

Kathey