db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject drda product identifier
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:51:20 GMT
DRDA publishes a list of supporting vendors (see
http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/prodid.htm). Each of these vendors has
its own product id. Derby isn't in this list although Cloudscape half
is. Right now:

o The Derby network client makes up its own product identifier: DNC.

o The Derby network server uses the Cloudscape product identifier: CSS.

This seems a little odd to me:

o Should Derby use the id of a product sold by IBM? This could give rise
to lots of mischief.

o Other vendors who supply both clients and servers use the same product
identifer for both. Why don't we follow this common practice?

Derby could apply for its own product identifier to be used by both
client and server. I'm happy to push this application forward if the
list thinks that's the right thing to do.

Feedback, other thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick