db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: sharing code between the client and server
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:31:56 GMT
You go, Rick!  I think the edge case is going to bite you, though.  I
don't think you can wave your hands and say customers can just write a
classloader to fix the problem.

If I remember correctly, the motivation for the edge case was to allow
different versions of the network driver and embedded driver running
next to each other.

I think this was motivated by some IBM customers.  My questoin is: is
the real motivation for compatibility between client and server?  If so,
it seems to me that what you really want is for a new version of the
network client driver to be backward compatible with an older version of
the server running elsewhere, or, vice-versa, a newer version of the
server to be backward compatible with an older version of the client.
This was managed at Sybase with the TDS protocol using a handshake at
login time where the client and server agree at what version of the
protocol to run at.  Perhaps this is what we want to do here.

If the motivation was something else, I'd like to understand it better.
Dan D. was the main person who brought this up.  Is Dan back yet?

Thanks,

David