db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject sharing code between the client and server
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:14:30 GMT
When we last visited this issue (July 2005 thread named "Size of common
jar file"), we decided not to do anything until we had to. Well, I would
like to start writing/refactoring some small chunks of network code for
sharing by the client and server. My naive approach would be to do the
following.

o Create a new fork in the source code: java/common. This would be
parallel to java/client and java/server.

o This fork of the tree would hold sources in these packages:
org.apache.derby.common...

o The build would compile this fork into classes/org/apache/derby/common/...

o The jar-building targets would be smart enough to include these
classes in derby.jar, derbyclient.jar, and derbytools.jar.

As I recall, there was an edge case: including a derby.jar from one
release and a derbyclient.jar from another release in the same VM. I
think that a customer should expect problems if they mix and match jar
files from different releases put out by a vendor. It's an old
deficiency in the CLASSPATH model. With judicious use of ClassLoaders, I
think customers can hack around this edge case.

I welcome your feedback.

Cheers,
-Rick