db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject drda datatypes
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:40:40 GMT
According to the January 2004 rev of the DRDA spec, DRDA does not
support the following SQL datatypes which we want to support or already
partially support:

BOOLEAN
NCHAR
NCLOB
NVARCHAR
SQLXML

How do we move forward to support these types? Here are some
suggestions. What do you think?

1) Wait until the spec owner (Open Group) adds these to a future rev of
DRDA. We would lobby Open Group to do this.

2) Create our own, custom-rev of DRDA which supports these datatypes.
Jim Gray seems to think that the spirit of DRDA allows these
customizations (see the following paper:
research.microsoft.com/~gray/papers/SqlAccessVsDrda.doc ). In this
scheme, Derby 10.2 clients and servers would ship with support for the
new datatypes. 10.2 servers would have to do something creative when
10.1 or db2jcc clients accessed these datatypes.

3) Support some other data interchange format, either alongside or in
place of DRDA.

-Rick