db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject WHEN clause in CREATE TRIGGER
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:29:01 GMT
Hello,

When trying to get an application to use Derby instead of another
database, I needed to "port" a trigger. This trigger definition uses the
WHEN clause, which is defined in the SQL standards of 1999 and 2003.

I see that the Derby manuals do not mention the WHEN clause at all in
the sections describing the CREATE TRIGGER. It is briefly mentioned in
the description of the SYSTRIGGERS table ("used only if there is a WHEN
clause (not yet supported)"). When quickly looking at the source code of
the parser and some other classes, I saw that the WHEN clause is handled
some places, but it is disabled (NULL always passed as WHEN text).

My questions:
   * How much work is done on support for the WHEN clause in CREATE TRIGGER?

   * Do we want to support it? (it is defined in the SQL standards)

   * A little on the side: Why is there a MODE DB2SQL in the FOR EACH
ROW/STATEMENT clause? Are there other modes as well? Do we plan to
support other modes?

If feedback on this mail confirms that this should be on our TODO list,
I will add an issue to JIRA (but I do not plan to work on this at the
moment). If I have overlooked an existing JIRA issue for this, please
forgive me!

--
Kristian