db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Support the ANSI-SQL standard BOOLEAN datatype.
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:54:58 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Kathey,
>
> I have found two tests which look like they monitor datatype
> conformity for PreparedStatements and ResultSets:
>
>   jdbcapi/parameterMapping.java
>   jdbcapi/resultSet.java
>
> BOOLEAN support was removed from these tests and I intend to put it
> back in. This will verify that you can use jdbc to set BOOLEAN
> parameters and retrieve BOOLEAN columns.
>
> Are there other jdbc tests which I should amend? What other client
> behavior should I track down?

I think you will find that  Network Server sends BOOLEAN as a SMALLINT
because at least at the time it was written there was no BOOLEAN type in
the protocol specification.  Maybe that has changed. You could check the
specs at  http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop.

I think this means that as things are now, the client  ResultSet
Metadata will show SMALLINT instead of BOOLEAN,  getString  will show 1
or 0   instead of true/false and any other jdbc differences between
BOOLEAN and SMALLINT will exist.   If that is the way it would stay it
would make for a really awkward differences between  embedded and client.

Watch out just checking that tests pass, because the test harness even
still has code I think to mask out this difference so that tests will
appear to pass.

Kathey