db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From V Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject jdbc4.0 implementation plan
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 03:29:10 GMT
1) build a stub foundation into which we can plug additional features
incrementally and in parallel

	steps in doing this

	a) create a seperate package org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc4

	b) extend classes in the org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc package

	c) provide implementation for methods in the JDBC4.0 spec that
	   are not currently present in the JDBC layer of derby.

	d) the implementations would actually be
            throws util.notImplemented();

so for example we have a EmbedBlob.java inside org.apache.impl.jdbc class

let us assume that there are two additional functions supported since
the JDBC4.0 implementation namely func1 and func2 so what we would
basically be doing would be

	inside the package org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc4 package

	final class EmbedBlob extends org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedBlob
		public <return_type> func1(<parameters>)
		    	throw Util.notImplemented();
        		public <return_type> func2(<parameters>)
     			throw Util.notImplemented();

1)	we observed that in the current build we have support for 		JDBC2.0
and JDBC3.0 within the same package viz. org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc (e.g
EmbedPreparedStatement30 extends EmbedPreparedStatement20 inside the
same package).

	we had decided on a seperate package because we thought this would
result in a cleaner build. would this be the best approach or should it
be part of the same package?

View raw message