db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: supported jdk's
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:29:03 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> According to BUILDING.txt, Derby runs on 1.3.x and 1.4.x. jdks. I'd like
> to understand our plans for supporting additional environments. Does the
> following sound reasonable?
>
> o By year's end, Derby will run on 1.3.x, 1.4.x, and 1.5.x.

Derby 10.1 already runs on 1.5.x and J2ME/CDC/Foundation 1.0.

> o Derby will also run on 1.6.x beta when that is released.
>
> Are there any plans for sunsetting Derby support for old jdks or do we
> intend to continue supporting Derby on all jdks from 1.3 forward?

I think that since most of the 1.3 VMs are entering end of service
around now that Derby could drop 1.3 support fairly soon. One option
would be to say 10.1 would be the last release to support 1.3, another
is to say the next release (10.2) would be the last to support 1.3.

JD0 2.0 (at apache incubator) plans to support JDK 1.3 so I did ask them
why and what they would need from Derby. Here is the reply.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-jdo-dev/200507.mbox/%3cF3381EB5-95D5-44F6-8E17-747F9E55B814@Sun.COM%3e

Of course that's only one user of Derby, they may be others out there
that would like 1.3 support to continue for a while.

I do think a simple table on the Derby site showing what releases
support which VMS would be useful.

Dan.