db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David Van Couvering (JIRA)" <derby-...@db.apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-400) Network client message strings not localized
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:56:57 GMT
     [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-400?page=all ]

David Van Couvering updated DERBY-400:

    Attachment: DERBY-400-2.diff

I am attaching a patch to show the work in progress.  In particular, I discovered that there
were some exceptions that had the same SQL State but different message texts.  As a result
I constructed the MessageId class, which encapsulates a specific message id and lets you have
unique message ids with the same SQL state.  This encapsulation also has other advantages:
you can detect duplicate use of the same id, and test code can ensure that all message ids
declared are actually tested.

I also am defining the SQLException error code from network client exceptions to be more in
line with the error codes coming from the server.  I did this by adding a new value to org.apache.derby.engine.iapi.error.ExceptionSeverity.java
called NETWORK_CLIENT_SEVERITY.  In the past this error code was hardcoded to -99999.

I would appreciate any feedback.with this approach before I forge ahead too much farther.
 I would also like to suggest that, after running full tests, I take a snapshot and get it
checked in.  These changes should be fully backward compatible; the only visible change is
that some SQL Exceptions will have a SQL state defined now, while others will still have a
null SQL State.

> Network client message strings not localized
> --------------------------------------------
>          Key: DERBY-400
>          URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-400
>      Project: Derby
>         Type: Improvement
>   Components: Network Client
>     Versions:
>     Reporter: David Van Couvering
>     Assignee: David Van Couvering
>     Priority: Minor
>  Attachments: DERBY-400-2.diff
> In investigating DERBY-254, I discovered that all SQLExceptions are thrown with hardcoded
English error messages.  This needs to be modified to use message string resource bundles
similar to the embedded code.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
For more information on JIRA, see:

View raw message