db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: derby.jar size/-g issue
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:23:40 GMT

On Jul 27, 2005, at 9:44 AM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> I checked the build instructions again and found this:
>
> BUILDING.txt:
>    :
>    options on the compiler. The sanity state can be set to insane
>    by running 'ant insane' or passing in the value -Dsane=false or
>    -Dsanity=false.
>    :
>
> which seems to indicate "sane" and "sanity" should be equal. Not sure
> that they are... I looked at the build.xml, but it's a little
> confusing..  Can somebody clarify this?

Hmm. The build instructions shouldn't be telling users to set the
property sanity. I've fixed this.

I agree the use of sane and sanity in the build.xml gets a little
confusing, but essentially sanity is the current state that is set in
state.properties whereas sane is the state that the user wants the
sanity to be. The value of sane is compared with the current sanity
to determine whether or not to regenerate SanityState.java. I just
realized, though, looking through the targets that I don't think
SanityState.java will get regenerated with ant sane/insane because
SanityState.java is not removed. I've fixed this as well.

If you're changing state, though, you should do a clobber before
setting the new state to remove all the classfiles that were built in
the current sanity state, and BUILDING.txt mentions this right after
where it mentions using the property sanity, although in a somewhat
roundabout way.

Elsewhere, Dan Debrunner wrote:

>   <property file="${properties.dir}/sane${sanity}.properties"/>
>   <property file="${properties.dir}/defaultcompiler.properties"/>
>   <property file="${properties.dir}/${build.compiler}.properties"/>
>
> Only a few build.xml have the sane${sanity}.properties, some build.xml
> files only have the ${build.compiler}.properties. Should every
> build.xml
> have all three lines as above?

Yes, and actually they should also contain:

<property file="${derby.engine.src.dir}/state.properties"/>

before those three lines so that the current value of sanity from
state.properties is set before it is used in the line that references
${sanity}.

andrew