db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Deepa Remesh <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Import/Export and getObject() for DECIMAL type in J2ME/Foundation
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:18:40 GMT
I have some questions on this subject.

1. Derby Embedded JSR 169 Functional Spec mentions "Embedded
(derby.jar), sysinfo, dblook, and ij (derbytools.jar) will be modified
to work under JSR169 on J2ME/CDC/Foundation (Foundation)." Does this
mean that import/export is not currently supported?

2. I think the import/export has problems in Foundation only when
there is a column with DECIMAL type. I tried running the testcase
importExport.java and it fails with following exception:

ERROR 38000: The exception 'SQL Exception: An attempt was made to get
a data value of type 'java.lang.Object' from a data value of type
'DECIMAL'.' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
ERROR 22005: An attempt was made to get a data value of type
'java.lang.Object' from a data value of type 'DECIMAL'.

This is expected since the system procedure for export calls
getObject() on a DECIMAL type and this is not supported. Derby
Embedded JSR 169 Functional Spec asks to use alternate JDBC getXXX and
setXXX methods (like getString and setString) for DECIMAL type. Can
Derby import/export utility be modified to call getString and
setString for DECIMAL type when using Foundation?

3. To run testcases for DECIMAL types in Foundation, can getString and
setString be used instead of getObject and setObject?

Thanks,
Deepa