db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Multiple engines in same JVM
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:34:40 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> AIUI there are two levels of configuration: system and database
>> * system configuration comes from system properties and
>>   classloader resources
>> * database configuration overrides based on values from derby.properties
>>   in the database directory
>

> My investigation says there are three levels:
> - System properties set through the command line or programmatically
> - Database properties
> - Properties set in derby.properties
>
> What do you mean by "classloader resources?"
>
> Investigation of the Derby 10.1 Developer's Guide under the "Derby
> System" section shows a couple of things that indicate that there can
> only be one Derby system per VM, regardless of the number of
> classloaders. This is in conflict with what Dan had been telling me a
> "system" was:

Not really in conflict, the developer's guide is a simplification. 99+%
of users are not going to get down and dirty with classloaders and
Derby, so better just to not complicate things. It was hard enough to
get folks to understand an embedded engine, let alone scare them off
with class loaders. :-)

Dan.