db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Multiple engines in same JVM
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:17:08 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I would like to explore the possibility of running multiple Derby
> instances in the same JVM, probably in different classloaders.

[snip]

> 2) common touch point in DriverManager, especially for use within
>    stored procedures.
>    I think we can do something here with a special Driver implementation
>    that could handle multiple engine instances which I think makes this
>    related to David Van Couvering's common jar discussion.

Just FYI, the DriverManager provides some security by not allowing
connections from a driver in a different class loader. This is not
documented in the JDBC spec or Javadoc, but is discussed in the JDBC
tutorial book, maybe in the reference section for DriverManager. I can't
remember the details, but this may cause you problems. :-(

Dan.