db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Multiple engines in same JVM
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:56:28 GMT
I would like to explore the possibility of running multiple Derby
instances in the same JVM, probably in different classloaders.

One use for that is an application server configuration where different
applications may require different versions of Derby or where different
instances may have different requirements e.g. for security.

Two big issues come to mind:
1) use of system properties
    I would like to explore ways in which these can be replaced with a
    per-instance configuration mechanism where each instance can have
    separate properties. This could be as simple as a per-classloader
    static property map but ideally something a little more flexible
    would be useful

2) common touch point in DriverManager, especially for use within
    stored procedures.
    I think we can do something here with a special Driver implementation
    that could handle multiple engine instances which I think makes this
    related to David Van Couvering's common jar discussion.

Thoughts?
--
Jeremy