db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Size of common jar file
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:56 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I'd like to understand the issues and concerns of the size of a common
> jar file.  Further inspection has shown that pulling in Monitor results
> in a large subset of the iapi and impl packages being pulled into the
> common area.  This will result in a larger footprint for the client.  Is
> this a showstopper?  I'd like to know before I spend too much time
> refactoring.

It is concerning but I wouldn't classify as a showstopper. It does
perhaps imply more coupling than ideal between the embedded JDBC driver
and the underlying engine. Perhaps footprint can be constrained with
some small but crucial refactoring?

I would suggest checking what you have into a "revolutionary" branch so
that more people can be involved and help drive a solution.

--
Jeremy