db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Increase acceptance of Derby across Apache??
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:39:41 GMT
I was wondering how Derby could get more visibility and more use in
other Apache projects. I see that other Apache projects could use or
refer to Derby in any of the following ways:

- Included as an embedded database
- Included for example applications/tutorials
- Recommended for use in example applications/tutorials (with separate
- Listed as a supported database
- Used as the test database (we addressed some concerns about this)

I spent some time looking at the Apache projects and came up with at
least these projects that obviously use a database through JDBC. I've
broken them into three groups:

Good use of Derby
Geronimo - Derby embedded
Incubator-Beehive - Derby supported and used for sample

Some references to Derby
Cocoon - Wiki entry on how to use Derby

No obvious references to Derby
James  - some discussion on the list about embedding Derby

While wide use of Derby within Apache isn't a requirement for
graduation, it can't hurt. It is kind of embarrassing that the DB
projects don't list Derby as supported, though I think it has been
tested by various people.

Are there folks on this list willing to reach into other communities to
raise the visibility of Derby? Since it's all open source the natural
answer to 'why don't you support Derby' is going to be 'do the work
yourself and contribute back the results'. I imagine the work will
depend on the project, some cases just testing, others writing adapters.

Any takers?

View raw message