db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: J2SE 5 features
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:55:39 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, all.  After attending a few JavaOne sessions I saw there were a lot
> of things we could do with J2SE 5.  I tried, unsucessfully, to search
> the archives for a discussion about how we can start taking advantage of
> J2SE 5 features.  Can we use J2SE 5 features?  What processes/mechanisms
> do we have to follow to do this.  Do we need to implement new pluggable
> modules/services that are specific to J2SE 5 so that versions of Derby
> can be backward compatible with JDK 1.4?

I think the J2SE 5 support should follow the existing Derby model, which
currently supports JDK 1.3, JDK 1.4 and J2ME/CDC/FP. That is separate
modules that take advantage of the functionality in J2SE 5.

I do think that 10.1 could be the last release that supports JDK 1.3
given the end of service dates for these VMs. Though that would need a
vote (once the release is out).

> Here's a short list of possible uses of features currently not in use.
> Note that some of these are available even in JDK 1.4...
>
> - Using NIO for network I/O
> - JMX for configuration and administration (yes, I know, big task)
> - Use concurrent collections for better concurrency
> - Use the ExecutorService for network server threads
> - Use the ScheduledExecutorService from the new concurrency utilities
> for TimerTasks
> - Log trace messages using message queues for better performance during
> tracing
> - Asserts
> - Generics
> - Chained exceptions
> etc...

Another one is BigDecimal improvements, which will allow faster
arithmetic and use of future decimal hardware. I was trying to get to
that as part of the J2ME DECIMAL related work, but haven't reached there
yet.

Dan.