db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject J2SE 5 features
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:35:47 GMT
Hi, all.  After attending a few JavaOne sessions I saw there were a lot
of things we could do with J2SE 5.  I tried, unsucessfully, to search
the archives for a discussion about how we can start taking advantage of
J2SE 5 features.  Can we use J2SE 5 features?  What processes/mechanisms
do we have to follow to do this.  Do we need to implement new pluggable
modules/services that are specific to J2SE 5 so that versions of Derby
can be backward compatible with JDK 1.4?

Here's a short list of possible uses of features currently not in use.
Note that some of these are available even in JDK 1.4...

- Using NIO for network I/O
- JMX for configuration and administration (yes, I know, big task)
- Use concurrent collections for better concurrency
- Use the ExecutorService for network server threads
- Use the ScheduledExecutorService from the new concurrency utilities
for TimerTasks
- Log trace messages using message queues for better performance during
tracing
- Asserts
- Generics
- Chained exceptions