db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: JDBC auto-commit semantics challenge
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:28:18 GMT
Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> I am just getting back from J1 and I have a quite a few emails to wade
> through.  If/when you hace a cycle, if you can summarize the issues
> outstanding, i can look at it and discuss with the EG.  There are sooo
> many emails from derby-dev, it is going to take me quite some time to
> digest it all.

Hi Lance,

Yes,  there is a lot of mail.  At least this thread would be worth
reading  in its entirety.   The executive summary as Philip would put it
is that
    - Philip posted a proposed autocommit behaviour for Derby as a
challenge the community.
    -  Dan challenged  that  the definitive auto-commit behaviour should
be  the JDBC3.0  spec section 10.1, not the setAutoCommit doc.
    -   I asked you a bunch of questions about the JDBC4.0 spec.
    -  Questions came  up about  inconsistencies between   next()
behaviour  on result sets closed by calling next past the last row vs
next() after being closed with the  close method.
    -  We found out squirrel is broken for client because of DERBY-213.
ResultSet.next() after last row of FORWARD_ONLY cursor throws an SQL
Exception with Network Server.

Regarding the spec, the biggest items resolve to me seem to me to be.

    -   When is a result set closed and when should next return false vs
throw an exception?
    -    Should the additional  information about auto-commit in the
setAutoCommit javadoc be fixed in the spec or fixed in the javadoc?
    -    Should there be special processing for DatabaseMetaData ?

But there is more.  My specific questions about the JDBC40 spec section
9.1  are here.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200506.mbox/%3c42BDF1BE.8060605@sbcglobal.net%3e

Now it is my turn to be out for a week, so  when I get back I expect you
folks to be able to tell me definitively, when a statement is completes,
when is a result set is closed,   when   next() should return  false vs
throws an exception and when that commit should get sent!

Kathey