db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Connection string log messages
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:08:33 GMT
Hi David,

My only issue is with the term "Physical Connection".

Connections are logical, not physical. Ethernet cables, adapters,
wires, RAM, disk drives are physical. Ports, sockets, connections,
database tables and columns are logical.

I really don't like using physical to describe the lowest level of
connection. Isn't there another term that conveys the correct
information, like Hard Connection, or Socket Connection, Port
Connection, or simply Connection?

Craig

> Here is an adjusted proposal, taking into account Kathey's *and
> Dan's* comments :)
>
> [ ] VOTE on toString() format for Derby embedded connections
>
> (a) Physical Connections, Pooled Connections (EmbedConnection,
> EmbedConnection30, BrokeredConnection, BrokeredConnection30):
>
> Example:  org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30@13359324
> (DATABASE = wombat), (SESSIONID = 1), (DRDAID = null), (XID = 105)
>
> (b) Pooled Connections (EmbedPooledConnection, EmbedXAConnection):
> Connection=<underlying connection string>
>
> Example:
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPooledConnection30@133457892
> (ID=2), Physical Connection =
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30@13359324 (DATABASE =
> wombat), (SESSIONID = 1), (DRDAID = null), (XID = 105)

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!