db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>
Subject Re: [doc] More quality improvements to the documentation
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:26:28 GMT

--- David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM>
wrote:

> Great work, Jeff, and great ideas.  Thanks for doing
> the research on
> adding user comments.  I think this is a very
> valuable feature so it
> would be really good if we could figure this out.
> Let me know if there
> is any way I can help.
>
> I also think the indexing is key to
> "maneuverability" in our docs, a
> common complaint I have heard about from new users:
> how do I find the
> documentation for what I'm trying to do?  Full text
> search would of
> course be great...
>
> David

Thanks David.

Technically, we do have search capability in the form
of the google search field in the upper right of the
web site pages, for example, on the main manuals page:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html

I typed "CREATE TABLE" into that field and got the
CREATE TABLE topic as the top result.  You just have
to be careful in your searches that you dont go to a
URL for the older 10.0 docs.  The ones you want look
like this:
incubator.apache.org/derby/docs/*

wheras the older docs have this URL format:
incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/*

So yes, we need indexing, but if you are looking for a
way to search the docs in the meantime, you can try
using that search.