db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Browser title for Derby manuals
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:34:04 GMT
--- Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just started using Derby, and thus I spend
> some time reading the
> manuals. I am not a big fan of the split manuals,
> but what makes it
> unnecessay tough to read the online versions is that
> the browser title
> for all manuals is the same!
>
> For the HTML Book versions the browser title is set
> to 'XSL FO
> Document', for the HTML Files versions it is set to
> 'Web Sample'.
>
> Due to this, it is hard to pick the correct manual
> if you view them all
> tabbed or in separate browser windows. Viewing all,
> or several, manuals
> is often required to be able to retrieve all the
> information you need.
> Is there a specific reason why the browser titles
> are the same for all
> manuals?
>
> Further, although trivial, the typographical
> conventions described in
> the manuals are not always followed. What do I need
> to do to be able to
> make/propose changes to the manuals?
>
> Should all documentation issues be tracked by adding
> Jira issues?
> Small changes like change font for 'word' from
> normal to italics comes
> to mind...
>

> Finally, I am happy to see that there is quite some
> activity on
> developing Derby, and I hope I will be able to make
> positive and helpful
> contributions myself!
>

> --
> Kristian Waagan

Hi Kristian,

Thanks for your interest in improving the Derby
documentation!  I have been involved in many aspects
of the documentation, both content and format, so I'll
take a shot at answering your questions.

I think we can take a look at the xsl files that are
used to transform Derby and possibly modify them to
display the correct book in the browser title.  I will
certainly take a look at that myself.

As for the typograqphical conventions and any other
changes you want to make to the docs, yes, you can
make the changes/request the changes using JIRA.  If
you have a bit of changes or requests that all have to
do with content (like typographical conventions), its
probably best to make one JIRA issue out of it and
explain in detail what you changed/would like changed.
 In the case of making requests, its best if you site
pages or topics where you want the changes.

This link will give you instructions on how to
download the doc source and build the doc set from
them:

http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html

You'll want some sort of XML editor to modify the DITA
source files, although its not impossible to edit them
in a text program (check your work by building locally
of course and attaching your sample output with the
patch).

Hope all this helps!  I personally would like to see
some of these issues straightened out, so I'll take
some time to work on this too.

Thanks,
Jeff