db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "A B (JIRA)" <derby-...@db.apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-334) Add initial SQL support for XML datatype/functions in Derby, based on SQL/XML specs.
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:01:39 GMT
     [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-334?page=all ]

A B updated DERBY-334:
----------------------

    Attachment: derby-xml_v3.stat
                derby-xml_v3.patch

Attaching version 3 of the XML patch, based on Dan Debrunner's comments.  Notable differences
between this version and the previous version are as follows:

1 - Combined "XMLImpl", "XML_UTF8Impl" and "XML" into a single class, XML.java.  This class
implements the XMLDataValue interface using a UTF-8 based representation of XML.  The class
writes an "implementation id" to disk whenever writing an XML value, but does NOT have any
other infrastructure for adding future implementations.  When smarter implementations of the
XML datatype are written, the implementation id written to disk will be the thing that allows
differentiation between the current UTF-8 impl and whatever the future implementation(s) is/are.
 But in terms of infrastructure for the new implementations, that will have to be handled
whenever the next XML impl is written.

2 - In order to get #1 to build successfully, I had to swap the build order for "iapi/types"
and "iapi/services" in the iapi/build.xml file.  This seems to have worked without a problem,
but I thought I'd mention it in case there's some side effect here that I don't know about
(esp. w.r.t to build jars).  Anyone know?

3 - In previous versions of the patch, I imported StoredFormatIds in several classes and then
did a check to see if a TypeId's format matched StoredFormatIds.XML_TYPE_ID.  This time around
it occurred to me that I should just be calling TypeId.isXMLTypeId() instead, which is much
cleaner.  So I made that change where appropriate.

4 - I added the "svn:eol" property on all of the new files, which I hadn't done in my previous
patches.

Comments are appreciated,
Army

> Add initial SQL support for XML datatype/functions in Derby,  based on SQL/XML specs.
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>          Key: DERBY-334
>          URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-334
>      Project: Derby
>         Type: New Feature
>   Components: SQL
>     Versions: 10.1.0.0
>     Reporter: A B
>     Assignee: A B
>      Fix For: 10.1.0.0
>  Attachments: derby-xml_v2.stat, derby-xml_v3.patch, derby-xml_v3.stat
>
> Adding some "starter" XML functionality to Derby, which can then serve as the basis for
future XML development.  Initial features include the following:
> 1 - A built-in XML datatype.
> 2 - An XMLPARSE() operator for creating XML values.
> 3 - An XMLSERIALIZE() operator for serializing XML values to strings (for data retrieval).
> 4 - An XMLEXISTSTS() operator for running simple existence queries against XML using
XPath.
> These features are implemented at the SQL level only (no JDBC support).  See the email
here for a more detailed description:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/4468

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see:
   http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


Mime
View raw message