db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Compile Issues
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:45:10 GMT
Dave Jarvis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With ant for Java, projects should successfully compile using:
>
>     tar zxf tarball-src.tar.gz
>     cd src
>     ant
>
> I have both J2SDK 1.4.2 and Apache Ant 1.6.5. Yet the instructions for
> compiling Derby required such things as:
>
>     adding a properties file to my home directory
>     configuring the properties file
>     installing javacc
>
> Even after following the BUILD.txt instructions, the compile failed:
>
> compile_reference:
>     [javac] Compiling 9 source files to derby/10.0/classes
>     [javac] Fatal Error: Unable to find package java.lang in classpath
> or bootclasspath

What does your ant.properties look like? To me it looks like you didn't
set up one of the JRE paths correctly, did you also install a 1.3 JRE?
Derby continues to support JDK 1.3/JDBC 2.0 (and now J2ME) so we need
JDBC 2.0 libraries to compile against. Similar issues will most likely
continue when Derby stops supporting 1.3 but supports 1.4 and 1.5 (5.0).
Both environments will be needed for a build.

> From a purely technical level, since JavaCC has a BSD license, it can be
> included in the distribution. Also, a basic installation can presume
> default paths (use relative names, if at all possible), and should be
> able to use the environment variables already set (e.g., $ANT_HOME,
> $JAVA_HOME), without additional properties.

I thought Javacc (and other BSD jars) was in the build now.

Any improvements you could suggest would be great!

Dan.