db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Jarvis <djar...@invoqsystems.com>
Subject Compile Issues
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:18:26 GMT
Hi,

With ant for Java, projects should successfully compile using:

	tar zxf tarball-src.tar.gz
	cd src
	ant

I have both J2SDK 1.4.2 and Apache Ant 1.6.5. Yet the instructions for
compiling Derby required such things as:

	adding a properties file to my home directory
	configuring the properties file
	installing javacc

Even after following the BUILD.txt instructions, the compile failed:

compile_reference:
     [javac] Compiling 9 source files to derby/10.0/classes
     [javac] Fatal Error: Unable to find package java.lang in classpath
or bootclasspath

 From a purely technical level, since JavaCC has a BSD license, it can
be included in the distribution. Also, a basic installation can presume
default paths (use relative names, if at all possible), and should be
able to use the environment variables already set (e.g., $ANT_HOME,
$JAVA_HOME), without additional properties.

HSQLDB provides an excellent example of the minimal three-step compile,
and also uses whatever version of Java is installed (e.g., 1.5 or 1.4).
(Okay, it's actually four-step, but the ant command prints out help
saying how to really compile everything; slightly suboptimal, but at
least clear.)

Simple is good. =) Good luck with Derby!

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis