db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-213 Early patch
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:23:42 GMT
Philip Wilder wrote:

> I've attached an "alpha" patch for the DERBY-213 for anyone who is
> interested in the DERBY-213 issue. It should be noted that the patch is
> contingent upon our current interpretation of the JDBC
> specifications/documentation.

Did we come to a resolution on your document? You asked for challenges
and I challenged, but I didn't see any follow up.

With a patch like this it is very useful to give an overview of what you
are changing, the committers (or any other reviewers) are not
mind-readers and it's hard to tell if you are fixing everything to match
what is in your current interpretation or just making progress in that
direction. Partial fixes are good progress, but it's useful when
reviewing them to understand that the patch is only intended to address
some of the issues. There have been threads on what makes a patch really
useful and likely to be committed quickly, I guess these tips haven't
made it to the web-site yet. :-(

Dan.