db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Little adv. XML support
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:39:10 GMT

pdavidek@aplis.cz wrote:
> Have one more question to you. You use Xerces for parsing XML datatype.
> So you have to write your own Java function which could parse XML (using
> SAX, DOM)).

The current XML implementation uses the Xerces parser combined with SAX to parse
an XML value and check for well-formedness.  See the "parseAndLoadXML(...)"
method in org/apache/derby/iapi/types/XML.java

> Does Xerces provide any support for XPath, XQuery?

No, I don't think Xerces itself has support for XPath/XQuery.  The current Derby
implementation uses Apache Xalan for XPath/XSLT, and since it (Xalan) is
included as part of both Sun's and IBM's 1.4 jdks, we get it for free.  This
functionality is exposed through the "XMLEXISTS" operator.  See the
"XMLExists(...)" and "exists(...)" methods of XML.java for the code that uses
Xalan's XSLT processor to evaluate XPath queries.

Hope that answers your question,
Army