db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: is it ok to allow TIMESTAMPADD/TIMESTAMPDIFF function in softupgrade mode ?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:03:23 GMT
Suresh Thalamati wrote:

> I am wondering,  if  is ok to permit  TIMESTAMPADD/TIMESTAMPDIFF
> functions on  soft upgrade from 10. 0  ?
> For example , if  I create a trigger that uses TIMESTAMPADD function on
> soft upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2 , and
> when I revert back  to 10.0  it gives    syntax error  when trigger is
> executed  on 10.0.
> is this the expected behavior ?

Yes. The use of such a new function doesn't create any on-disk
structures or information that is not understood by 10.0. By not
understood I mean has the potential to cause errors and confusion in the
engine itself. I think a syntax error for views and triggers is ok for a
developer to deal with.

Dan.