db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: 10.1 release candidate jars
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:40:45 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> Hello derby-dev,
>
> I've posted a set of 10.1 release candidate jars for testing on my
> public html page:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/
>
> The link is right at the top. GPG signature and md5 checksum are also
> linked there.
>
> Areas for testing should include upgrade from 10.0, new  functionality,
> and platform compatibilty. Note that the version of  these jars is
> 10.1.1.0 - and not beta or alpha. I decided to go ahead  and make the
> version non-beta in order to facilitate upgrade testing  from 10.0 to 10.1.

Marking this jars not alpha/beta defeats the whole purpose of the
versioning scheme, which is to ensure that pre-release software does not
get used in production environments. A development flag was added to
allow testing of upgrade of pre release jars.

I'm not sure marking the release as not alpha/beta should be done until
the jars have been voted on at derby-dev. In the future we may want to
change the versioning code related to alpha/beta to better match the
Apache Derby release process, but at the current time the list did vote
to accept the existing versioning scheme. As we iron out the release
process for future releases, the versioning might need to change, e.g.
if there never is a 'beta' phase for any release then there is no point
having code for a beta state.

This would be a good time to remind people how the release process
works, in terms of testing, voting and what a vote means. We have a lot
of new developers on the list since the last Derby release.

Dan.