db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question about holdability and XA
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:26:50 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>So if you start a global transaction it should it always be set to
>>CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT automatically?
>>or should  the user need to set the holdability?
>Automatically set, just like autocommit is set to false for a global
>transaction, regardless of the setting when the connection is attached
>to a local transaction.

So I think based on what you say my table should look like this:

        Holdability for Brokered Connections obtained from an XAConnection

         Global Transaction            Local Transaction

JDK14+   CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT       conn holdability (Default HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT)

Is that correct?
If so I think maybe DERBY-346 is really a manifestation of an embedded bug (maybe DERBY-8)
but we probably still have a bug for local transactions with the client.

In the protocol the holdability for the connection  does not get sent to
the server.  Instead the holdability is encoded in the PKGNAMCSN that is
sent on prepare.  So I think I have to change the client to set the
statement holdability based on the rules above and set it in the prepare
for BrokeredConnection30 (JDK14+) connections.  If I do this I think it
should all work ok and I would bypass the embedded bug.

View raw message