db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: what is minimum correct protocol for posting patch to list?
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:51:21 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> what is the minimum correct protocol when submitting patches:
> attach to jira
> attach to mail on list
> send in line on list

IMO if there's a Jira issue, attach it to that issue. If there is no
issue, consider if an issue is appropriate, then open and attach it. If
an issue isn't needed, post it to the list.

DERBY-332 is a poster child for confusion. I applied a patch on May 5
that was submitted on May 4. The issue was opened for it on June 1 and
the April 27 patch uploaded. In the meantime I had even forgotten that I
had applied a patch back in May. It got untangled yesterday.

If I remember right, it was just a month ago that we were discovering
that we had so many patches posted to derby-dev that we were starting to
lose track of them, especially when new patches were replacing old ones.

If it's in Jira and a new patch supercedes an old patch, it's easy to
remove that old patch so it doesn't get applied by mistake. Or if the
old patch should be left for some reason, it's easy to see that there
are multiple patches and judge which one should be applied.

  -jean