db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-31: More on semantics for Statement.setQueryTimeout: ResultSet.updateRow
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:15:47 GMT
Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> you are correct,  timeouts are not documented to effect xxxRow()
> specifically in the jdbc 3 or 4 spec

Lance, I'm a little confused by your comment.

Who do you think is correct, David or Oyvind? From my reading they have
different gut feelings. :-)

And then is it

A) JDBC spec does not state anything about timeouts and

B) JDBC spec states timeouts do not affect updateRow/deleteRow/insertRow
(if so, which section?)

I think you mean A) but it's not entirely clear to me.

> David Van Couvering wrote:
>> I'm guessing the JDBC spec doesn't have anything to say about this?
>> Do we know what other drivers do for updateRow() and deleteRow()?
>> Barring any existing explicit or implicit standard behavior, my
>> feeling is that any method that results in a remote round-trip should
>> support a timeout.  I have dealt with too many applications where the
>> application hangs if for some reason the remote service is not
>> responding.
>> Thanks,
>> David
>> Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM wrote:
>>> Previously, we agreed that the query timeout should apply to
>>> Statement.execute() as well as each individual call to ResultSet.next().
>>> New question: Should the query timeout apply to ResultSet.updateRow()
>>> as well. For orthogonality, the question (although this is more of
>>> theoretical interest) also applies to ResultSet.deleteRow()?
>>> My initial gut feeling is that it should not; even though updating
>>> e.g. a large blob may take a while, I still think timing out on an
>>> operation like this would be more annoying than useful to the user.

View raw message