db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: looking for opinions on reasonable hardware requirements for tests in standard derby suite
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:33:03 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:

>     MM> I would still like almost all tests to be included in derbyall,
>     MM> but it would seem reasonable for there to be a small suite
>     MM> which hopefully could be set up to be automatically run on
>     MM> some interval - worst case at least before a release.
>
> I agree with you.  We need a testsuite for long-running tests and
> large data volumes.  I have a feeling that due to the way we do
> testing, the robustness of Derby for large data volumes are not the
> best.  I know David had some recovery problems when doing a large data
> volume test.

I agree, as well.  And in fact, the need for such a suite came up when I was
working with DERBY-121.  The test case that I wrote for DERBY-121 requires a
rather large LOB to be passed to Network Server, which means the server JVM
needs more heap than usual.  While this probably isn't a "large data volume"
like what you were envisioning, it nonetheless is a similar sort of
thing--namely, it's a test that requires extra machine resources and thus
shouldn't be run as part of "derbyall".

As part of my patch for DERBY-121, I created a new suite "largeData" that is
fairly generic and that can (hopefully) be expanded/extended to help satisfy the
requirements described by Mike in this thread.  See the following email for that
patch and a description of what I did with the new suite:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/4843

And please make comments if you think the new suite could be organized better to
fit the needs described in this thread (at least, the "large data volumne"
needs).  Remember: the new suite is only meant to be a starting place; it's not
(yet) intended to satsify all of the large data/long-running test requirements...

Army