db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Statement.cancel()
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:08:42 GMT
Oyvind.Bakksjo@sun.com wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM wrote:
>>

>>> I've been looking at implementing Statement.cancel(), and later,
>>> Statement.setQueryTimeout().
>>

>> So, quick summary, that method is not suitable for finding the correct
>> StatementContext from EmbedStatement.cancel().
>>
>> I'll look into how I think you should track down the StatementContext.
>> Dan.
>

> Hi Dan,
>
> have you had any time to look into this?
Not a lot :-(

I've been thinking about it and there are a couple of issues:

1) StatementContexts are created dynamically for the current running
statement

2) Derby does not keep references to application JDBC objects below the
JDBC layer. This is to ensure when any JDBC object (e.g. Statement)
moves out of scope for the application, it will be garbage collected and
lead to its closure.

I wonder if from a StatementContext you can determine the activation
because that would provide the link to the Statement.

Dan.