db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Use of DriverManager in tests
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:22:26 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen wrote:

> When developing a test for Derby-230, I was made aware of that we
> should not use the DriverManager directly, but instead use
> startJBMS().  However, I see some test (e.g.,
> store/backupRestore1.java) that uses the DriverManager when shutting
> down the database and when doing restore.  I am currently working on a
> test for Derby-298 that needs to do the same.  Is it OK to do it this
> way?   What restriction does it impose on which environment the test
> can be run in?

J2ME does not suport DriverManager. This is because the JDBC JSR169
subset only supports javax.sql.DataSource as the connection mechanism.

I currently have the test suite running under J2ME with about a 50% pass
rate. Many of those failures are due to use of DriverManager, which I
will look at fixing in one way or another.

So at the momeent I would request anyone to minimize use of
DriverManager, but if it is needed then use it.

Dan.