db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Proposed JIRA workflow changes
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:25:52 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Contacting a specific person just seems wrong to me, but it's more of a
>gut feeling. Some of the concerns that pop into my mind are
>
>  - assigning a reviewer from the same company could hinder integration
>    of the community, while assigning a task to someone else does not
>    seem appropriate. Open source is volunteer, and no-one has any right
>    to assign work to another.

I do not think we should have any formal type of assignment but have
come to  believe in targeted volunteer recruitment if I see someone who
looks like they might be interested.  (e.g.  Surely I will target
Dibyendu to try out my next XA patch.).
Also committers need reviews too and this just seems the best way to get
them.

>  - A specific reviewer seems to go against the many eyes on the code,
>it can discourage any one else from looking at the patch.

Usually I start my targeted volunteer recruitment after a few rounds of
general appeal without success.  In an effort to get at least a couple
extra eyes on the code.

And I always say please #:)

Kathey