db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Proposed JIRA workflow changes
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:15:55 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> I'd like to add that we can improve the process immediately without
> having to wait for the JIRA changes, by
>
>   (a) contacting a *specific* person to review and to commit a patch and
>   (b) re-assigning items to the person responsible for the next step in
> the lifecycle of the item, so that an individual can easily determine
> what they are responsible for.

It's worth looking around to see what other Apache projects do before
deciding on an approach, e.g. see

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html

Contacting a specific person just seems wrong to me, but it's more of a
gut feeling. Some of the concerns that pop into my mind are

  - assigning a reviewer from the same company could hinder integration
    of the community, while assigning a task to someone else does not
    seem appropriate. Open source is volunteer, and no-one has any right
    to assign work to another.

  - A specific reviewer seems to go against the many eyes on the code,
it can discourage any one else from looking at the patch.

Just things to think about ...
Dan.