db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject DERBY-213 IRC Chat :ResultSet.next() after last row of FORWARD_ONLY cursor throws an SQL Exception with Network Server
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:52:03 GMT
    Philip and I chatted this morning on IRC://irc.freenode.net/#derby
about DERBY-213.

     *  We ran our resultset.java test and updated the master.
         We decided to add a test for fetching past the end of  a
scrollable cursor too.

  * We  talked about the protocol specs from the 10,000 foot level.
           They are available at http://www.opengroup.org/dbiop/
                * C043 - Vol. 1: Distributed Relational Database
Architecture
                    Describes overall protocol  flow.
                * C044 Vol. 2: Formatted Data Object Content Architecture
                    Describes format of data types  for exchange between
server and client
                * C045  Vol. 3: Distributed Data Management Architecture
                   Describes the commands, objects, and parameters used
in the protocol described in Volume 1.

       * We looked at QRYCLSIMP. in Vol 3
            Client can send one of three values that affect how the
server behaves when fetching past
            the end of a FORWARD_ONLY ResultSet.
                01 - Server has to close
                02 - Server should not close
                00 - Server decides.
             Scrollable cursors are not affected.

          *  We are changing the server to default to 02 and will clean
up some errors in DRDAStatement at the same time.
              We decided that qryclsimp should only be in DRDAResultSet,
not DRDAStatement as it is only sent for
               OPNQRY, not EXCSQLSTT.

          * We think the client sends 00 (Server choice) and JCC sends
01 (Server has to close) but still need to verify,
             so we may only be able to fix this with network client for
right now.

Attached are the transcripts from the  chat.  Next meeting is Thursday,
June 2, 9am PST .
If you made it this far, I am looking for input on summaries for IRC chats..

    * Is this too much / too little detail.
    * Are the transcripts at all helpful?  I think I might drop them if
they are not useful.
    * Would a weekly summary be better?

Thanks

Kathey