db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Olav Sandstaa <Olav.Sands...@Sun.COM>
Subject Performance regression test
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:13:15 GMT

Our team plans to make a performance regression test for Derby. This
test will be run regularly (nightly) and measure the performance of
Derby using some simple tests. The purpose is to monitor and detect
changes in the performance that are introduced either intentionally or
inadvertently. We plan to make the results available similarly to how
Ole is publishing the results from running the Derby test suite.

Before we start working on this test it would be nice to get feedback
on these items:

 1. Is there anybody else who is running performance regression
    testing of Derby?

 2. Are there any programs or clients available that currently are
    useful for measuring performance data for Derby? Our current plan
    is to start with a tpc-b client and a simple program that measures the
    performance of basic operations (insert, read, update, delete).

Note that the intention of this test is not to benchmark Derby, just
to detect changes done to the code that affect the performance either
in negative or positive ways.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Olav

--
Olav Sandstå
Sun Microsystems, Java Web Services, Database Technology Group