There are still a fair amount of applications which utilize these methods.  I am not removing these methods in JDBC 4 and infact I actually clarified the api docs for them.

Derby should implement these IMHO.

Regards
Lance

Daniel John Debrunner (JIRA) wrote:
     [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-253?page=comments#action_64262 ]

Daniel John Debrunner commented on DERBY-253:

What should the behaviour be? I think unimplemented is correct, implementing methods that are not intended to be used seems wrong.

Client should throw not implemented exception for depricated setUnicodeStream/getUnicodeStream

         Key: DERBY-253

setUnicodeStream and getUnicodeStream are depricated API's and
not supported for  Network client but can throw unexpected
error messages.
To reproduce uncomment the "if (! isDB2jNet)" around unicode
tests in conn/blobclob4BLOB.java