db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Darcy Benoit" <darcy.ben...@acadiau.ca>
Subject Re: Thoughts on the to-do list
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 15:40:26 GMT
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:59:19 -0400, Kathey Marsden
<kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Darcy Benoit wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:36:08 -0800, Kathey Marsden
>> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In reexamining the to-do list I think we should consider  identifying
>>> some low hanging fruit or mark projects as beginner, intermediate and
>>> advanced.[snip]
>>
>> Kathey,
>>     I must say that I really like this idea. I've been following the
>> Derby group since the fall, and I have been trying to find the time to
>> get involve but have been unable to find a good starting point.
>> [snip]
>>
>> darcy
>>

> I am so glad to hear back on this.    Since you are the first to
> respond.   I can customize the first set of getting started projects
> that  fit the interests of you and your students.   I'll post them here
> and then hope that someone with web skills and access will pretty them
> up for the website.

Kathey,
	Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. Things have been
hectic for a while, but have just managed to calm themselves down enough
for me to get back to this topic.

> Questions
>     Are you and your students interested in projects in network server,
> embedded derby or both?

In this case both. We will be using Derby both ways.

>     Could you explain a little what you mean by autonomic features and
> maybe give an example?

Most of my work revolves around the automatic diagnosis of performance
problems in DB2. Others that I have worked with did things like work out
algorithms to automatically resize the buffer pools for OLTP workloads. My
area was less of working out an automated tuning algorithm and more of
working on how to determine which database resource needed to be adjusted
in order to fix the tuning problem. I am hoping that I might be able to
apply some of that knowledge to Derby.

Presently, I want my students to be working on just about anything that
will improve the performance of Derby. It would be a bonus for my research
area if this performance improvement was autonomic (something resource
that can automatically adjust itself depending on the performance of the
system).

I am using Derby in several projects at the moment. The first student is
using Derby as an embedded database in a grid project to survey the size
of the web. The second student is doing a general overview of Derby - the
structure of the code, where the interesting stuff is happening, how to
get involved in the community, how to do some of the more simple patches,
etc. He's been posting on the group every once in a while and will
hopefully do some bug fixes over the summer. I have a third student who is
looking at automated checkpointing. A fourth student is considering
working on the in-memory database stuff. And a fifth student is working on
indexing at the moment.

Anyway, sorry for taking so long to reply. I know that stuff has been done
on this already, and I like it. It makes getting my students involved much
easier. :)

darcy

--
Dr. Darcy Benoit