db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DataSource class hierarchy in client
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 22:20:54 GMT

On May 2, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>> The class hierarchy the client DataSources is:
>>
>> ClientBaseDataSource
>>   +-- ClientDataSource
>>         +-- ClientXADataSource
>>         +-- ClientConnectionPoolDataSource
>>
>> The three standard interfaces DataSource, ConnectionPoolDataSource and
>> XADataSource are not related to each other with different
>> get??Connection methods that return different classes.
>>
>> I would like to propose refactoring this so that all three extend
>> ClientBaseDataSource directly which will mean moving some of the
>> properties from ClientDataSource down into the base class.
>>
>> Any thoughts on why this should not be done?
>
> No, but what are the reasons it should be done?

So that XADataSource does not implement DataSource.  I have yet to see
a coherent explanation of what XADataSource is for and how it relates
to connection pooling and application server transaction management, so
I doubt most casual users have either.  If your XADataSource implements
DataSource most non-expert users will think, "I'll just get my
connection from XADataSource and I will have  XA and connection
pooling" even though they are operating outside an environment that
supports either.

thanks
david jencks