db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Planning for a 10.1 release
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 00:08:11 GMT

On May 19, 2005, at 4:39 PM, Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> I would like to get to resolution on the unified DataSource issue
>> before we release. If we go that way then these changes will be
>> irrelevant because of the unified API; if we don't then I would like
>> to follow through with the Pooled/XA changes.
>>
> I was thinking something less dramatic to get us  into a state where we
> could release, like backing out the changes or  moving
> ClientBaseDataSource to the jdbc directory.   Then the whole unified
> DataSource issue can be given more thought later.
> But that might just be my little thinking again #:)

Jeremy's proposed changes for the unified DataSource are extremely
unlikely to break anything (IMNSHO) since they just move stuff around a
little bit without changing how it works.  I think the only question is
whether they are a good idea or not: if they are a good idea then
making the changes now in this release is very desirable to avoid
future changes in the network client.   Surely it should be possible to
evaluate reasonably quickly whether the changes result in a simpler and
improved user experience.  As you may have guessed, I think they do :-)

Many thanks,
david jencks