db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: J9 Foundation & RunSuite
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 21:28:10 GMT

On May 26, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> From the verbose output of RunSuite, it seems RunSuite spawns a JVM to
> run RunTest which will then spawn a JVM to run the actual test, ie.
>
> <snip>
>
> Is this correct for RunSuite? I'd just assumed that RunSuite called
> RunTest directly as Java code.

Wow. It's not RunSuite that's doing it, but RunList. See RunList:491.
Looking at the surrounding code, this is apparently a convoluted hack
to keep certain properties from being available to RunTest and/or
propagated back up to the RunSuite level. I don't think I ever noticed
this call to Runtime.exec() in RunList before now. This could obviously
be achieved in a drastically more efficient manner.

But, it's best not to get me started about all the things that are
wrong with RunList. Now I have another item to add to my list though.
:-P

andrew